President Trump, very down in the polls, heavily medicated, and by all reasonable accounts still contagious, is commenting sans rhyme or reason.
An irritable President Trump is itching to get back on the campaign trail as he sees Former VP Joe Biden campaigning in Arizona.
The President has declared himself fit to resume campaign activities and plans to begin holding public engagements on Saturday.
And that’s where the oddity of his recent comments begin.
The President says he has completed his COVID-19 treatment and transmitted optimism of holding rallies this weekend on the Sean Hannity show. This level of optimism was not to be found when broaching the subject of virtual debates. The Presidential Debate Commission, due to the President contracting the COVID-19 virus, decided the debate would go virtual.
Since then, the President has gone on a twitter storm ranging from 2nd amendment protection to sparring over the Michigan kidnapping plot.
With Vice President Biden responding:
And this is just the tip of the iceberg.
The President, who described getting COVID-19 a “blessing from God,” has been taking a series of drugs to treat the virus. Besides Regeneron, which he gave an infomercial style endorsement of, the President has been taking dexamethasone.
WebMD lists the following side effects of using dexamethasone:
- Increased appetite.
- Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
- Swelling in your ankles and feet (fluid retention)
- Muscle weakness.
- Impaired wound healing.
- Increased blood sugar levels.
Now no one has ever called the President docile, but he has been increasingly irritable since returning from Walter Reed.
This was in full display after the Wednesday Vice Presidential debate. The President called Vice President candidate Kamala Harris a “monster.” Prompting Democratic nominee Biden to respond, “The President has difficulty with strong women.”
This all coming as the Vice Presidential Debate drew the second highest viewers a week after a disastrous performance by Trump.
All leading to the President’s tremendous urge to get out and do what he loves to do most… Rallies. Dr. Sean P. Conley, the President’s physician, on Saturday. In a memo on Thursday, he said that President Trump had remained “stable” and “devoid” of symptoms. On Thursday, Dr. Conley said he completed his COVID-19 treatment and could in fact resume public engagements.
According to the CDC, ten days is the absolute minimum a COVID-19 patient can resume regular life activity.
Shortly after Dr. Conley’s memo, Mr. Trump’s re-election campaign released a statement calling for the second presidential debate to take place as originally scheduled. “There is, therefore, no medical reason why the Commission on Presidential Debates should shift the debate to a virtual setting, postpone it, or otherwise alter it in any way,” the statement said.
Later that evening, the President decided to call into Sean Hannity’s Fox news show Thursday night.
The President said he would be holding a rally in Florida Saturday and another in Pennsylvania. He went on to say he was in “great shape” — even as he paused on a few occasions and seemed to cough or clear his throat.
The very-pro and Trump friendly host, Mr. Hannity asked if he had tested negative for the coronavirus: He first said he wouldn’t get an “actual test” until Friday, then suggested that he had already had a test and that it had found “very little infection or virus, if any,” and then said, “I don’t know if they found any. I didn’t go into it greatly with the doctors.”
Mr. Hannity critiziced the commission organizing this year’s debates for its decision to make next week’s forum virtual — a decision that prompted Mr. Trump to withdraw earlier in the day.
Mr. Hannity suggested that Mr. Trump should organize his own debate.
“Well, I might,” Mr. Trump said, adding that he would want a “fair anchor” — perhaps, he said, Sean Hannity.
The morning began with the commission announcing that the next debate, scheduled for Oct. 15 in Miami, would be virtual “in order to protect the health and safety of all involved.”
The Biden campaign quickly accepted, but the Trump campaign rejected and called it “ridiculous.”
Mr. Biden’s campaign to call for the debate to be pushed back a week to Oct. 22, “so that the president is not able to evade accountability.”
Mr. Biden’s deputy campaign manager, Kate Bedingfield, said in a statement, “Joe Biden was prepared to accept the C.P.D.’s proposal for a virtual town hall, but the president has refused, as Donald Trump clearly does not want to face questions from the voters about his failures on COVID-19 and the economy,”
Bill Stepien, Mr. Trump’s campaign manager, issued a statement agreeing to pushing the debate back a week.
“We agree that this should happen on Oct. 22, and accordingly, the third debate should then be shifted back one week to Oct. 29,” Mr. Stepien said.
The Biden campaign countered with a new statement that the Oct. 22 debate should be the last one of the campaign.
“Donald Trump doesn’t make the debate schedule; the Debate Commission does,” Ms. Bedingfield said in a statement.
And we still don’t have concrete answers.
Will we have a debate next week?
Will it be virtual?
Will we have a stimulus package?
Is the President testing negative for COVID-19 after treatment?
Some answers would be nice.